Hillbillies....
....is what we are, Teapot and me, and this last week we took time off from our visits to grandad at Haslingden Hall to walk over Cowpe Low with its stunning views down the Rossendale Valley.We could see across to Longridge Fell and Ingleborough and the other way, down into Cliviger near Todmorden. The scene though is not always like this and I have dim memories of school cross country runs in the rain not far from here.
My granny Sellers grew up in Boarsgreave in the village of Cowpe. Town and village loyalties are fierce in this part of the world. I grew up in Stacksteads and it was with no little trepidation that I married into the more civilised part of the valley, namely Rawtenstall, where Teapot comes from. The previous day we had enjoyed a pleasant stroll from her dad's house to Top o't' Bonk, one of her favourite views.
Which all reminded me of those other well known hillbillies who struck oil in the hills and went to Beverly Hills (if your memory goes back far enough). Jed and Granny Clampett and of course Elly May, who according to Wikipedia was a mountain beauty with the body of a pinup girl and the soul of a tom boy.
Now who does that remind me of....
PS Click on picture for larger version

2 Comments:
Well, these days one out of two ain't bad!!!
And I won't say which one.....
By
Teapot, at 12:02 am
Just seen pic of Cowpe and it still looks superb!Even though I only live @ 8 miles away I haven't been there for ages...must rectify soon!
By
Su51, at 3:20 pm
Post a Comment
<< Home