Confessions
I begin the new year with a confession. I want to make a clean breast of it. Hang the consequences. I know you may never speak to me again.I am a recovering (?) marmite addict.
There you all know. The Cornish Pixie shamed me into it. If she had the courage to confess to addiction to haribos how could I continue to keep secret my lifelong struggle with the extract of yeast.
I used to be a two slices of toast and marmite a day man but now it is probably only two slices a week with the odd sneak into the kitchen cupbaord, a quick unscrew of the jar lid and the aroma fixes me for another day or so.
There are websites dedicated to the stuff [eg http://www.marmite.co.uk/love/] . Scientific studies have been undertaken as to how many slices of toast can be covered by one standard jar.
There is no end to its usefulness. Does Yankee Doodle Dandy really use it as a base for one of her famed beauty concotions? Does Big Al really use it as axle grease?
I do know that Random Shizzle's parents serve it as a delicacy to the villagers of Trapiah whenever they can get hold of the stuff.
And it is one thing the ex cons down under cannot beat us with as they make do with that ghastly substitute vegemite.
Come to think of it if Freddie and co had been taking their two slices a day of marmite on toast we would still hold the Ashes!

7 Comments:
I love it, Mrs EB cannot stand it. My person favourite way is on toasty Soldiers to dip in a runny boiled egg. Top comfort food.
By
D Baynham, at 2:58 pm
I even have a "one-pot" Marmtea pot on the kitchen windowsill, so it runs in the family.....
Madness helps too!.............
By
Teapot, at 4:32 pm
All I can say is "Ughhhhhhhhhhhh"
By
ScubaSis, at 5:44 pm
i have to agree with Sheraaaaaar! It is the most foul thing i have ever tried!! I would rather eat fish, which if u know me i hate with a passion!!
I am a defiante hater!!
By
JollyGreenGiant1982, at 9:19 pm
I am so proud of you for confessing your addiction! It indeed took courage and bravery!
Oh and I'm sorry but I am another 'hate it' person!! It smells disgusting - let alone having to taste the stuff!! How anyone can stomach that for breakfast I will never know!!
And as for marmite being a help to Freddie and the boys....am beginning to think that they are beyond help!!!
By
It's not easy being small, at 9:01 am
I too am an addict to the yeast extract. Recently I have been shown more creative ways of using it in ham sandwiches and now I have a marmite recipe book with more ideas in! Definitely a Love It.
By
Al, at 9:27 am
When I worked for the pianist at Church I was shown a way that has become a firm fave with me. Toast some bread, butter it then coat with a nice thick layer or Marmite. Cover with a nice thick layer of grated cheese and stick under a grill until melted.....Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm some worcester sauce or brown sauce can be added now to taste.
A firend of the Pianist worked part time at a top security prison and used to get prision issue marmite...it is slightly courser than the real stuff but tasted just the same, so if you do get put inside a top security govn't hostel you will be ok for Marmite.
By
D Baynham, at 11:43 am
Post a Comment
<< Home