Tales from the Tardis

Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving

Last week was Thanksgiving in the USA where they have a holiday to celebrate the first harvest of the Pilgrim Fathers in 1621. And of course the President pardons a turkey, turkey being the centrepiece of the Thanksgiving Day meal.

It made me think what a remarkable thing to have a holiday which has its roots in thankfulness.

I must confess when I look around me and become engaged in thinking of the people I love and care for there is often an overwhelming sense of the burdens they carry and the struggles they face. And I do not easily walk past the young man in the underpass asking for money or dismiss the scenes from Cumbria of flooding and homes and businesses shattered. So thanksgiving is pushed into the background. Other harsher noises drown it out.

Consequently a day to celebrate celebrating pulled me up short. I am sure those first settlers had plenty of stuff they'd had to overcome and no doubt a good few did not make it to the first harvest. There was the uncertainty, and may be a little fear, of the first winter coming. That would be me for sure. But they took time to be thankful.

And I have some wonderful things and people to be thankful about, never mind the God who sent his Son to save me. It's the beginning of Advent, the coming of Jesus for the first time, and according to the prophet Isaiah:

"This is what the Sovereign Lord says.......those who hope in me will not be disappointed"

There is plenty to be thankful about.

So may be I need to go find some turkeys to pardon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home