Tales from the Tardis

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Food for thought

On Monday we had the real pleasure of Yankee Doodle Dandee here for her evening meal with Jenny and Big Al who was doing the cooking.

I enquired in my best sympathetic way about the preparations for Saturday's Songs from the Shows. You all know I am putty in the hands of a weak and vulnerable woman [see Sunday's news sheet].

I wondered how it would be if we had a traditional recipe for the meal that is such a part of this kind of event. Something to celebrate our great regional dishes. In Lancashire there are still potato pie suppers and a recipe for this remarkable dish follows the end of this blog. I cannot remember the last time I ate it.

What would you suggest? A balti? Faggotts and peas? Cornish pasty? Fish and chips?

...........or even something from Yankee Doodle land.

May be all these are out of fashion now: not very Jamie Oliver and perhaps not quite the thing for Songs from the Shows. But any ideas?





Recipe


Potato Pie(Serves 4 to 6)

Ingredients:
500 gms of soft shin, cut into small cubes
Flour
Cooking oil
1 onion peeled & sliced
350mls of beef stock
Salt & black pepper
500 gms of potatoes, peeled, cut into cubes & part boiled
Short crust pastry

Method
Dust the meat with the flour. Heat the oil in a pan & fry the meat & onion until lightly browned. Add stock & seasoning. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for at least an hour or until the meat is very tender. (The longer and more slowly the meat is cooked the better). When the meat is ready mix in the drained potato cubes. Put into a deep pie dish or casserole and cover with a short crust pastry crust. Make three slits in the top of the pastry (for the steam to escape), brush with beaten egg or milk and bake for about 40 minutes at 200C until the pastry is golden brown.

3 Comments:

  • I think as it's songs from the Shows it should be a Theatre Meal. The sort of thing you would go to after the theatre so a Balti Mmmmmmmmmm or a Chinese meal.

    Maybe a pre Theatre meal, an Italian meal, Pizza or Pasta perhaps? Regional would have to be Faggots, chips and mushy peas (pronounced pays) and grouty pudding (pronounced grawty, never had that though, Carl Chinn would go on about it in the studio, the name puts me off) Though Bread and Butter pudding would do me, lose the currents and go with apricots a speciality of Mrs EB and jolly fine it tastes.

    By Blogger D Baynham, at 8:26 am  

  • Lancashire Potato Pie, makes your mouth water. Of course we pronounced it 'prater pie'. I remember eating it for supper one evening and the lights went out just as my dad was raising the fork. I think "'shillin' had gone". When they came back on I saw him, forehead covered. It kept me going for a week.

    By Blogger Poverty to Prophet, at 5:53 pm  

  • Purple Pippin regularly makes potato pie and is famed throughout North Yorkshire for this Lancashire delicacy. It has even been made in industrial quantities for such earth shattering events in the dale as his birthday party!

    By Blogger hs, at 3:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home