Tales from the Tardis

Friday, January 04, 2008

Mark Maybury for President?

Time I returned to the American Presidential election.

And how appropriate after the results in the Iowa caucus yesterday and with Mark Maybury preaching on Sunday evening at SCBC.

My picture of course is not one of Mark but rather one of Mike Huckabee the winner in Iowa for the Republican party. Mike is a man of many talents just like Mark. He is a Baptist preacher from the south. He plays bass guitar in a band called Capital Offense.

Yet unlike our guitar playing preaching Mark he is running for President of the USA.

Some of his ideas especially on tax (abolish income tax replace with a sales tax) may seem odd and even barking. But there is something vaguely whimsical and appealing about him.

He wrote a book called "Quit digging your grave with a knife and fork" after being diagnosed with diabetes. He then lost 110 pounds in weight and now regularly runs marathons. He is the son of a fireman, although I cannot say if his dad was called Sam. He hails from Hope in Arkansas, just like Bill Clinton.

So I shall listen even more carefully than usual on Sunday to our Mark. And at the first hint of advice on diet I shall begin to wonder if I am present at the birth pangs of a glorious political career.

1 Comments:

  • These links may help explain the role of primaries in party nominations:

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22419475
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21660914

    By Blogger Ethnoquest, at 1:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home